Cup of Culture
Friday
Seattle · Independent

☕ Morning Cup | June 13, 2026

Your daily briefing from Cup of Culture.

Sean Bartley · Jun 13, 2026 · 3 min read
☕ Morning Cup | June 13, 2026

The Courts Win. Trump’s Name Is Gone from the Kennedy Center.

It happened in the early hours of this morning.

Workers pulled Trump’s letters off the facade of the Kennedy Center — one by one — as crowds gathered below chanting “Take them down!”

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper had ordered the name removed by a Friday deadline, ruling that only Congress has the authority to change the name of a building designated by a 1964 federal law as “The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.” The judge went further: he also blocked the administration from taking any steps to close the institution for repairs, after Trump had announced the Kennedy Center would shut down for two years starting July 4 for what he called a “complete rebuilding.”

The crowd outside wasn’t just tourists. It included federal workers fired during DOGE’s mass layoffs, family members of Kennedy Center employees who lost their jobs, longtime patrons, and Tara Hoot — the first drag queen to hold a residency at the Kennedy Center. A thunderstorm delayed the work, pushing crews past midnight, but by early Saturday morning, it was done.

Rep. Joyce Beatty, the Ohio Democrat who sued in December to force the removal, said in a statement: “Today’s victory is the beginning of returning the Kennedy Center to the American people. The rule of law prevailed, and that is worth celebrating. Let this send a message across the country: when we stand up, fight back, and defend our democracy, we can win.”

This is what it looks like when courts hold. Remember it.


Trump Says U.S. Military Killed the Leader of Tren de Aragua

President Trump announced Friday night that U.S. forces killed Héctor “El Niño” Guerrero Flores, the head of the transnational Tren de Aragua gang, in what he described as a “swift and lethal kinetic strike” coordinated with the Venezuelan government.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the strike took place earlier this week on a Tren de Aragua compound in Venezuela’s Bolívar state. Venezuela’s communications ministry confirmed the killing, calling it a “combined operation” between U.S. forces and Venezuelan security services.

Guerrero Flores was credited with transforming a Venezuelan prison gang into a transnational criminal organization with operations stretching across Latin America, the United States, and into Spain. He had been indicted in New York federal court on charges including racketeering, conspiracy, and providing material support to terrorists.

The Trump administration has been conducting a broader military campaign targeting drug operations, including monthslong strikes on boats in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific — a campaign that has drawn criticism from lawmakers, legal experts, and human rights groups who have questioned its legal basis. More than 200 people have been killed in the process.

Trump called it “retribution.” Critics are asking who authorized it, under what law, and who else is getting killed along the way. Those are the right questions.


The Big Beautiful Bill Is Law — And Now the Cuts Begin

A quick reminder on where we are with the One Big Beautiful Bill Act, because implementation is starting to land.

Trump signed the OBBBA into law on July 4, 2025 — enacting what analysts called the largest-ever cuts to basic needs programs in U.S. history, structured to fund tax cuts for the wealthy. Now, a year later, those cuts are beginning to hit.

For the first time in the history of the Medicaid program, the law requires beneficiaries to prove they are working or in school at least 80 hours a month to keep their health insurance — starting December 31, 2026. The CBO confirmed the legislation cuts more than $1 trillion from Medicaid over a decade. Researchers at Georgetown University found that 40% of children in small and rural towns get their health insurance through the program. Those are the people who will feel this first.

They passed it. They signed it. And now real people are going to lose real coverage. Keep saying it.

Thats all for today folks!

Go knicks!

Sean


Sean Bartley is an independent journalist and political content creator based in Seattle. Cup of Culture publishes daily progressive briefings, analysis, and interviews.

Want to support independent media? Subscribe at SeanBartley.substack.com/subscribe or buy me a coffee at buymeacoffee.com/seanbartley.